A Southern Grace: soothing soup

February 7, 2017

soothing soup

Yum

Black bean soup. I can't stop myself from craving soup these days.


I've made this chicken chili twice, and now I've moved on to black bean soup, a long-time favorite.

I followed this recipe pretty closely, but made several changes to suit my own tastes. I took out the ham and some of the veggies, and added tomatoes with chiles and lots more broth. I prefer a soup into which I can dunk some bread or cheese toast, and if it's too thick, my attempts to do so are thwarted.


This is a nutritious, comforting, and delicious soup, and since my husband isn't the biggest soup fan, I'll be soothed by it for a good, long while.

Brothy Black Bean Soup
Based on this recipe
(printable recipe)
Serves 8-10
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound dried black beans (about 2 cups), rinsed, soaked in 4 quarts of water overnight or 6 hours, drained
  • 5 cups water
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped fine (2 cups)
  • 2 celery ribs, chopped fine (1 cup)
  • 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
  • 2 tablespoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with chiles, undrained
  • 3 tablespoons lime juice
Directions:
Place beans in a 4-quart, thick-bottomed pot.
Add 5 cups water, salt, and baking soda.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer.
Cover and let cook 45 minutes to 75 minutes, until beans are tender.
While the beans are cooking, heat olive oil in a large 8-quart thick-bottomed pot on medium high until the oil is hot, but not smoking.
Add the onions, celery, and salt.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and softened, about 10-15 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium, add the cumin, chili powder, oregano, and garlic powder, and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Once the beans are tender, add all but 1 cup of the beans, their cooking liquid, chicken broth, sugar, and tomatoes with chiles to the pot with the spices and veggies.
Mash the remaining cup of black beans, then add it to the pot.
Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes.
Add the lime juice and adjust seasonings to your tastes.
Let simmer briefly, then serve.

14 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

My husband doesn't eat soup at all..I was trying to persuade him to drink some chicken soup when he was ill last week, no chance. I am on the contrary, a soup person. Your black bean soup looks filling, comforting and delicious as well!

All That I'm Eating said...

I love black beans! It's the perfect time of year for soups like this. So comforting.

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

I'm with you about about black bean soup and I like your version a lot.

Pam said...

This is one of the few soups I like and yours sounds delicious! Thanks!

Marjie said...

The weather is right for soup. Looks great.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Grace, my husband will eat a bowl or two and thats it but that is okay because I love love soup, this one looks delicious!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

It sounds like it's a really handy soup to have on hand as it is so versatile. Stay warm! :D

Gingi said...

Yum yum! Black beans are a toddler super food, so we eat them a lot in my house, with two toddlers running about! <3 - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

Tania | My Kitchen Stories said...

I can eat gallons of soup summer or winter especially blackbean soup!

Kate @ Framed Cooks said...

My husband is the same about soup - he looks panicked when I pull out the slow cooker to make my beef barley soup recipe, which makes GALLONS. More soup for us!

Adina said...

I love bean soups and my husband too, it's just the kids that need a bit of persuasion... I usually take white beans, it is what I grew up with, but black beans should be great as well.

Juliana said...

I am totally with you in regards to soups...and yes, lots of bean soups in my kitchen...I have not been using black beans lately...thanks for the reminder. Your soup looks delicious Grace.
I hope you are having a nice week :)

gloriadelpilar_1994@yahoo.com said...

I love soups !
This look delicious !

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Perfect bowl of soup! I'd probably cut the recipe in half though, as my husband sounds like yours :)